Sunday, July 6, 2014

Celebrating the Lord's Day

We celebrated two masses today, and I mean celebrated!  Jill, Kaley, and I joined the English choir at our first mass in the small church in Phase 1.  The other women in the choir did a good job of guiding us to keep in time and motion with everyone else.  A small pull on my dress or poke on the side got the message across on what direction to go.  I was out of my comfort zone, but it was a great experience in the end!

Our second mass was at the big church in Phase 3 where we've spent a lot of time.  This mass was in Swahili, but it was impossible not to become involved with all the singing and clapping.  At the end of mass we were all presented with either a dress or shirt and mug with our names and an image of the new church drawing on it.

After mass we ate lunch with the Parish Leaders and their spouses as well as some other key individuals we've met and become friends with.  The mass dancers also performed another dance for us.  Jill had the lovely idea of singing a song for our friends and we'd practiced a Swahili song the last couple days.  Although I imagine our Swahili has much to be desired, we were a hit for our friends who all graciously said we did wonderfully!  

Girls dancing traditional Kenyan dances.
When lunch ended many of us went shopping again and purchased some last items from the vendors at the church.  The beadwork these people do is absolutely phenomenal.  On the school field there was a football game going on, dancing performances, and a happy time.  My home visit family was at mass and I was able to get one last picture of them all.  It's amazing how much affection I feel for people I've known less than a week.  I think it really speaks to the true kindness and generosity of the people here and the willingness to be open.

Beaded necklaces and bracelets.


-- Gabriela Gualano