Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Children and Vultures

Children and vultures. Those are two words I never thought I’d have in the same sentence, or see in front of me. Today we went to Boma Rescue Mission located next to a trash dump. Boma accepts children from the area who cannot afford the school uniforms required for attendance. The children stay for five months and then hopefully attend school. If this isn’t an option, the children stay for a year.

Children with pigs and vultures at a dump site.

With donations the priests and nuns in charge purchased clothing and shoes for each child. Immediately, the children ran off to the rooms to change. Many put their new clothes over their old clothing and kept the tags on. The littlest ones needed help tying shoes and even some older ones did not know to button cuffs on their long-sleeved shirts or roll up sleeves and pant legs if they were too long. I think many of us were holding back tears amongst our smiles.

Bruce and his new friend at Boma.

Then we all began to play. Soccer balls, footballs, and jump ropes galore! The children ran around and could be children. For a short while they could laugh and play and not think about the worries I am unable to even imagine. I think of my students at home, how fortunate they are to have their parents and homes.

Two boys with new clothes and balls!

Several children took their shoes off to jump rope or play soccer. In a life where I would not dream of going barefoot on paved roads these children found it easier to be barefoot kicking balls on rocky ground than in new shoes. Many also did not have underwear or socks. I have seen commercials on TV for various charities where the children are bedraggled, but to actually see the little ones is such an overwhelming experience.

Boma Rescue Mission

As we were leaving I turned around to take one last look. I saw children running around, waving goodbye, kicking and throwing balls, and smiling, but right above were dozens of swirling vultures.

-- Gabriela Gualano